So, were switching things up in the Harvey Household. I am trying to let go and let my kids be just that, kids. So, I hate the bedtime routine. Not sure why, but it is monotonous and I hate having to get angry to have them finally listen to me and stay in bed. I don't like it most on the days Ryan isn't coming home because it is just a long, drawn out process after a long day. I am just thinking about all the dishes, laundry and things I need to do before bed. So, the other night I wasn't feeling well and said that I wanted to go to bed. Ben says, "Go ahead mom, I got Jake. I will make sure I read him stories, make sure we brush our teeth and say our prayers." Now usually I am sort of the "bedtime Nazi" so I wasn't sure how I felt about this. But I figured I could use the change of routine as much as they could. So, I put Ben in charge. Gave him a time to be in bed, and I took the night off! And he actually did a great job. Way better than me. No yelling, no Jake getting out of bed or being crazy, nothing. He was so proud of himself and of Jake. So was I. I may have to do that more often......
Then today, I see Jake drawing all over himself. Now, we have always said that Jake is our "artist", our "outside the box thinker". This is how our conversation goes:
MOM: "Jake, what are you doing? You know better than to draw on your body?"
JAKE: "But mom, I look so cool. I am just trying to be a cheetah."
(mom, thinking this over....why can't he color on his body one day? He doesn't try and do it all the time. In fact, what if he wanted to do it once a month....would that be so bad? I only tell him not to do it because my mom told me not to do it, and that is probably because her mom told her not to do it. It's non-toxic. Not something I would want every day. But he doesn't want to do it every day. Just today. The kid wants to be a cheetah......
So, I let him.
I help him.
And he is happy.
And you know what? So am I.
2 comments:
That is so cute. I love that you just let it go and allowed Jake to have a little extra fun. That is something that would have been hard for me.
And I love that Ben was in charge of bedtime. Im sure he felt so cool too. So big!
Give your big boy, your cheetah and your cutie pie baby a hug from me.
did you fall off the face of the blogging world? um, yeah, i'm pretty sure you did.
miss reading your posts!
Post a Comment